Friday, July 11, 2008

Independence Day Weekend

Independence Day is one of our favorite holidays, mostly because we can enjoy the weather and because we like the traditions.  One tradition of the young Erickson family is to go to Sauvie Island in the morning every July 4th, and visit the Pumpkin Patch market for fruit and honey sticks.  The past few years, its been a bit difficult because of the Sauvie Island marathon run on that day, but we are undeterred, and have now taken the picture shown below 5 years in a row (the first year being 2004, when Sam was still in Sarah's stomach).  If I get my act together, I'll post them all as a collage.  


Sarah and Sam got to ride the slide at the Pumpkin Patch


Then, we always head to Oak Hills for the annual 4th of July parade...which always starts off with police motorcycles and fire trucks.  Its kind of loud.  But great.  


After a full day at Papu's, its off to the fireworks at dusk.  After a couple years of major apprehension, Sam did great this year and said he loved fireworks almost as much as superheros, and in fact, he thinks he wants to be a firework superhero.  Halloween costume, anyone?  Amy fell asleep about 5 minutes into the show. 


I've always tried to take cool pictures of fireworks.  So, again, I dorked out and here is the finest result.  Pretty cool, I think. 


The next day, we drove to Eugene and went to the U.S. Olympic Track & Field trials - very cool.  We hung out at Sarah's parents house and had a nice relaxing day.  Amy ate ice cream because it was hot....

Sam played with the puppy...

The NEXT day, after a fun family trip to the Portland Central Library, Sam and Chris went to the Portland Beavers game!  Very fun.  Sam got to see (and hug) the following: (i) Bullwinkle the moose (below), (ii) Sammy the Subway Sandwich (not pictured); and (iii) Lucky the Beaver (bottom).  He's a hugger, that Sam. 

Popcorn, of course (oh, and a pretzel and ice cream...Lunch!)

After the game, kids were able to run around the bases, which we had to take advantage of.  As we learned from Froggy, "first go to first, second go to second, third go to third, then go home." 

Once through home plate, he got some love from Lucky.  A truly great weekend. 

2 comments:

Jessica Baker said...

I'm jealous of the fireworks shot. I've always wanted to capture one of those...

cowmart said...

Love the fireworks shot!